How To Get Your Dream Body
Truth be told, I cringe at the phrase ‘dream body’. I love celebrating health, wellness, and fitness, and so the focus on ‘dream body’, just feels, well…tacky. But you know what? It’s okay, it’s a catchy phrase and in this world, when we’re engaged, we’re more likely to try something, it’s like a gateway drug (to health!). We often start a fitness regimen for a more aesthetic reason, but once you make that commitment, you realize it becomes something so much deeper. A fit, strong, toned body is emblematic of a much larger mind and body success. So, in this sense, I believe we can use the term ‘dream body’ as the perfect balance.
I am not here to lie to you.
I will not pretend that achieving your dream body is easy (because trust me, it’s not).
I am not going to offer you a magic pill, nor false promises on fat burning foods. There will be no false promises of losing half your body weight in two weeks. Essentially, you do actually have to put in the effort.
Instead, what I will offer you is a way to attain the body that you’ve always wanted. More importantly, I will provide you with the tools to maintain that body once you’ve achieved it.
I am going to teach you the ways in which you can adapt your lifestyle to accommodate your body goals. I won’t dictate to you what you ‘have’ to do, but I will tell you how to do it: How to eat, how to exercise, how to overcome hurdles and how to set up a routine that you can stick to. You want to think long term, this is not a diet for 2, 4, or 6 weeks, maybe it will start that way, but ultimately, you are changing your lifestyle for lifelong results of health and wellness. Think of your fitness plan like a recipe, it’s not about just throwing in X number of workouts or minutes exercising per week, it’s the right type of exercise, at the right intensities, in the right order. Once you the best routine for your body, you’ll end up with the best body (just as the best recipe done right, equates to the best cookies)!
Let’s Put It In Layman’s Terms //
Promise of impressive weight loss in short time.
Unsustainable diet/fitness plan.
Insufficient nutrients which cause poor skin, poor digestion, mood swings, low energy and various other delights (no thanks).
Weight lost is mostly water, and comes back as soon as normal eating resumes.
High level of deprivation can lead to overeating when the diet is finished. This means gaining even more weight back than was actually lost.
Depending on the duration of diet, it could impact your body composition negatively i.e. lose lean mass and end up with a higher body fat percentage.
Can’t eat cake, or pretty much anything that doesn’t look or taste like the Earth (who would want to do that?).
Slow, steady weight loss or muscle gain (depending what your goal is).
Well balanced strength and toning
Sustainable nutrition/fitness plan.
Well-balanced nutrients and sufficient calories for good mental and physical function.
Weight loss is mostly fat.
Measures taken are to sustain healthy metabolism.
Measures taken are to avoid feelings of deprivation.
Continual improvement of body composition.
Can enjoy the pleasures of food – including cake (yay cake!)
So, now you can see why a short-term starvation diet/detox/cleanse [insert whatever ‘trendy name’ it’s called] won’t work if you want real results. The term ‘quick fix’ doesn’t just refer to the duration of the diet, or the simplicity of the ‘solution’- it refers to how long the supposed results last. Is 5 days of agony really worth the five minutes of a slightly slimmer you? You feel crap, you look like you haven’t slept in a week, but hey, you can wear smaller jeans for a whole day! Then you start eating actual food again, and realize that you’ve just wasted 5 days of your life.
If you want to change, you have to really want to change. If you want to look better than average, it requires more effort than average. You have to be motivated, you have to be dedicated and you have to be patient. Now these thoughts may start to cross your mind; Can I do this? Do I really want this? Well, of course, you can, and – I’d be inclined to guess – of course you do!
So go get you your dream body! You don’t have to be perfect, you just have to get started!
I’ve Made It Super Simple. I’ve Literally Broken It Down Step-By-Step //
- Start thinking long term, this is not a 20-day fix – we want to get our dream body and keep our dream body! There is not need to go crazy for X days only to burn out and “fall off the wagon”. That’s discouraging, slow and steady wins the race (trust me, if I tried to sprint during my races, I would’ve burnt out and gotten nowhere)!
- Balanced training; strength, toning, and cardio. This can mean strength training at the gym (or home!), some type of cardio, and a great stretching routine. You can try my interval cardio workout, dynamic stretching routine (stretching is so important!), as well as my Jetsetter travel workout to start. These are all awesome workouts that you can do in or out of the gym so they are perfect no matter your schedule! You can also check out more awesome workouts here!
- Pick nutritious food options. Being mindful of what you are putting in your body is key, we don’t look at food as good or bad here (I enjoy a glass of red as much as the next girl!), we look at food as fuel! Choosing options that will energize and fuel you for your day and workout will not only help you towards your dream body but will make you feel great! I have lots of easy recipes you can try here, and no, you don’t have to be a wiz in the kitchen for these!
- Track your progress, you can print out my workouts and time yourself, or use a notebook to track the weight you use each week. This is great motivation that will show how you are progressing!
- Remember your why! This is huge, motivation will come and go, others may not understand, but you have a reason you want to improve your life. It could be weight loss, increasing strength, flexibility, or increasing your energy! It doesn’t matter what it is, remember why you started and keep going (I believe in you so you should too!!).
If you do lose some motivation along the way, no sweat, it happens to everyone! Check out my article on 3 Tips on How to Get Motivated to help you!
Now, are you ready to get your dream body? Let’s do this! The goal is to educate you on your body, and gradually learn the system for how to get your body to that ‘dream’.
So, do you really have what it takes to go after what you want? Achieve your dream body? You will never know if you don’t try.
Last note (I promise), by taking these steps you are not only taking steps to your dream body, but to a healthier, more positive lifestyle that will keep benefiting you every day! I have experienced the benefits and tested it with countless people who I’ve then seen their lives and bodies change. I know how incredible this is, and I believe the reason my competitive running career was cut short was that I was supposed to learn other ways of fitness, learn the true importance of it, and spread the message to others.
I promise I will be here to support yours throughout your journey to your dream body, a healthier lifestyle, and life!
This post was written by Amanda Russell.