NEW YEAR CHALLENGE
Molly Knauer is a registered dietitian with her master’s degree in clinical nutrition. Molly works one on one with clients counseling on weight loss, weight maintenance, managing gastrointestinal diseases, and overall healthy eating to help clients attain the confidence and energy to tackle their life’s passions. She also works as a nutrition consultant for several brands in the food, wellness and beauty space.
1. Tell us a little about WHY you became a Registered Dietician?
I went into nutrition because of my love to cook and nourish my loved ones. I was also diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis at 16 years old which caused me to have an early interest in the connection between food, health, and the body.
2. What does a typical day of meals look like for you for breakfast, lunch, & dinner?
These days I’ve been loving toasted ezekiel cinnamon raisin english muffin with almond butter or ghee for breakfast, a big salad for lunch with some mary’s gone crackers and hummus, and some sort of protein and veggie for dinner with a snack in between- sometimes an apple with almond butter, cut up veggies with hummus or a smoothie
3. As a registered dietician with a masters in clinical nutrition, you know all about different food trends and diets. Do you follow any particular diet now?
I don’t follow any particular diet other than believing that a variety of plants should be part of your diet every single day. I listen to my body and eat animal protein when I want it, usually not more than once a day and try to limit added sugar as much as possible!
4. You take an individualized approach when working with clients, instead of a “one diet fits all” approach. What is the most important thing you consider when putting together a meal plan for a client?
Their starting point. You can’t take someone that is used to eating fast food every day and expect them to cook every single meal. You have to be realistic and make small, measurable, realistic goals. Once they start achieving the smaller goals and their energy, confidence, and empowerment increases, we start making bigger changes.
5. How has pregnancy changed your nutrition and your relationship with food? Any odd cravings or repulsions?
I haven’t had any super weird cravings but I did have a few weeks in the beginning where I couldn’t stomach much besides cereal and toast. Later in pregnancy I found that I get full really quickly so it has been a great practice in mindfulness while eating because if I overdo it, I am extremely uncomfortable afterwards! I try to do nutrient dense small meals throughout the day as I can’t eat much at once.
5. Advice on navigating the world of supplements?
I always ask if you can get that nutrient sufficiently and conveniently through food. If not, a supplement is great. I always recommend a probiotic and vitamin D in the winter. Other than that it’s individualized based on the person’s diet and what they are missing.
6. What are the key components you look for when putting together a meal?
A variety of veggies or fiber, a high quality source of protein, and a healthy fat.
7. You have your own private practice which includes an extensive A-list clientele, such as the beautiful Karlie Kloss. What would you say is your favorite part of your job?
There is nothing better than guiding a person towards their best self and empowering them to take care of their body so that they have more energy to take on their life’s passions. Building confidence is a byproduct of my job that I love the most.
8. If you could eat one meal everyday for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Probably peanut butter and banana on toasted ezekiel bread!
9. What do you do for exercise?
I love to exercise and I do a lot of different classes- yoga, pilates, strength training. In NYC I love FPC and Flex pilates prenatal classes. I also love Body Conceptions, Dance Body, and Megan Roup.
10. What has been your biggest accomplishment to date?
Hard question! I’m sure this will change once the baby comes but starting my own business and seeing the positive effect my work has on others is really gratifying!